Pequannock Township Public Library
Rules and Reminders for Library Behaviors
The library is a quiet place. Anyone who enters the library is expected to pursue library-related activities quietly, without disturbing others.
The library is not an after school daycare center or hang out. It does not provide individual supervision or act in loco parentis. Parents need to make other arrangements for that.
Library staff has the right to ask for a minor's name, their parent's phone number, or to accompany them to school to meet with the Principal or Assistant Principal.
The library is here for everyone. Senior citizens, parents with small children, and library users doing serious research or private quiet reading have the right to use the library without annoyance or disruption.
1. Cell Phone use is not allowed in the library. Cell phones may only be used outside the library or in the vestibule (brick room between entrance doors). Keep doors closed and voice low. No audible use of i-pods, personal music players or other electronic devices.
2. Use proper and respectful language in the library. Maintain a respectful attitude towards others. Keep your voice low and private.
3. No noise-making, including loud talking, whistling, humming, yelling, tapping, clicking.
4. Backpacks and personal items must be kept with you. They should not create a hazard or obstacle by being in the aisle. No one should touch another person's backpack. Theft and vandalism will be reported to the Township Police Department.
5. No eating or drinking in the library. No carrying of open food or beverage containers.
6. Inappropriate behaviors:
- Misuse of restrooms.
- Sitting on library tables or improperly on chairs. One person to a chair.
- Interfering with other's use of the library.
- Blocking another's way.
- Violence or verbal threat of violence.
- Bringing roller blades, bicycles, scooters, or skateboards inside the library.
- Throwing of anything.
- Running inside the library.
- Viewing inappropriate sites on library computers.
7. No use of library's phones except in case of emergency. Arrangements for rides home need to be made before the child comes to the library.
8. At library closing time, or in event of an early closing due to inclement weather, the Police Department will be called to take custody of unattended children.
Homepage | Programs | Library
Resources and Links
Pequannock Township Public Library, 477 Newark Pompton Turnpike,
Pompton Plains, NJ 07444
Telephone (973) 835-7460 Fax (973) 835-1928